Friday, March 12, 2010

I was peddling a one-speed bicycle seventy miles an hour on a freeway with my wife and grandson aboard. We had one piece of luggage strapped to the frame: a leather saddlebag. Confused by the signs, I took the wrong exit and went up a hill. We got off in a flat graveled area surrounded by leafy trees. There were no cars or bicycles in sight. Several people were milling around, not at all impressed by how we’d arrived. Up ahead, on higher ground, there was a large round concrete tank. Hovering just above it was an empty wooden rocking chair, turning slowly in the breeze.

2 comments:

bam said...

Hi, It's been awhile since I sent in my dreams. I did a series that I separated out and call Later, Wetness. I kept myself in a dream state as much as I was able and turned what ended up being about 22 short pieces into a kind of alphabet chapbook. I enjoyed dividing them and then finding and tweaking them to echo in each other. I've read the series at a kind of salon, got some good suggestions. They are dreams after all, but how they are told does make a difference. There is editing and language and choice. I am always happy when others stay with my dreams and plumb them themselves. I often have driving dreams and house dreams - never a rocking chair dream. But yours seem similar in some ways to mine. Good dreams. Barbara

William Michaelian said...

Thanks, Barbara. Oddly enough, I have a 31-dream chapbook coming out soon myself. I guess my alphabet’s a little longer than yours....