Tuesday, December 21, 2010

My grandfather, alive again and in need of a shave. I could smell him when we hugged — that sweaty, vineyard scent of his. But his hug lacked his usual affection. Somehow, without a word, he let me know that I should have been to see him sooner. Practical, as always. And I, feeling guilty and not wanting to break his heart, unable to explain the difficulty of his request. My father, now, to the left, a step or two behind him, half grief, half shadow, looking at his hands. Was he wondering how long he’d been away? Did he know it’s more than fifteen years? Time is nothing when there’s light in someone’s eyes. Even when he’s dead, and gone, and here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read this first in Google Reader, which doesn't show the author, and knew immediately it was you, William. The luminous quality gives it away ... or maybe it's just that vineyard....

William Michaelian said...

Well, the vineyard would be enough. It was enough for Gramp. Thanks, Joe.