Friday, May 20, 2011


I was outside a large bldg, probably someone's home, maybe a big party was starting.  The area I was in was like a patio surrounded by plants.  I had just gotten some records.  My neighbor in waking life, Mark O'Connor, had picked one out for me & was playing it on a device that was outside near where I was.  He wanted me to listen to it.  It was by a Spanish musician named "Raf".  At 1st it semed vaguely like electronica.  I walked over to where the turntables were to take a close look at the record & saw what might've been a circular shallow pool - like a fountain but w/o water spouting in it.  The bottom lip of the bowl-like bottom of the fountain was about 2&1/2 or 3 feet off the ground.  On it there was an approximately 3 foot long piece of what looked similar to model railroad track - w/ a slight curve for a few inches at either end.  At 1st I thought that this was some sort of new playback device for a new recording medium - perhaps invented by Raf.  I looked at the end to my right & thought I saw some sort of little object like an optical reader.  I looked closer at the whole thing trying to figure out how it worked, looking to see if there was some sort of flat object moving on the 'track' being read by the little object at the end but concluded that there wasn't. 

On a pole rising above & behind this 'track' there were a few, maybe 3, turntable like objects stacked above each other separated by enuf distance so that they cd be clearly seen w/o blocking each other.  They were each protruding from one edge of the pole, the 'front' from my perspective, at about a 30° angle downward.  Each of them had on it what looked like a record but larger than 12" - maybe 15 or 18".  I looked at each one, moving my gaze up from the bottom, until I reached the top one - wch was the only one that was spinning.  As such, I concluded that that was the Raf record that I was hearing.  As I looked at the record I cd see a sortof hologram above or in front of it that showed the guys who were making the music.  As w/ most dream descriptions, what this 'was' is likely to be pinned down by any description here.  In the dream, I simply saw an image of these 3 guys w/ a somewhat lo-fi image quality & truncated as if by a screen edge that wasn't there.  There was a musician playing an instrument on the left & a guy singing, who I deduced to be "Raf" in the middle - w/ a 3rd guy somewhat hunched over to the right, possibly singing - the furthest away from my viewpoint.  Their visual presence didn't obscure my view of the large disc.  

I was a bit disappointed by these guys b/c the more I pd attn to them & their music, the less imaginative they & it seemed.  The guy I presumed to be "Raf" had what I'll call here a 'horseshoe' mustache - a mustache over the lip w/ 2 perpendicular lines of hair on either side of the mouth growing down to the chin.  He had medium length head hair & looked fairly 'normal' - just a bit scruffy as if he partied alot & didn't have to look 'presentable' for a job.  Having lost interest in the music by now I wanted to take the 'record' off but cdn't see any easy way of accessing the 'turntable' - wch was maybe about 6 feet above the pool of water & set back 18" or so from the lip. 

I looked at my hand & realized that I had about 5 shards stuck in it that I hadn't previously noticed.  There was at least one sliver of glass & the rest were possibly metal objects - one like a finely machined part.  I Pulled each of these out of my hand & saw that the part had left behind a hole maybe a quarter inch in diameter that wasn't bleeding profusely but that was bleeding enuf, & open enuf, to need attending to. 

I went into the house wch was, I slowly realized, more of a palace - w/o the typical magnificence of one.  I was searching for a bathroom & a medicine cabinet (or some dream-world vague thing perhaps like it) so I cd clean & wrap my hand but all the bathrooms had lines of people waiting to enter them - although b/c the giant foyer I was walking thru was so large (no end in sight - at least 40 or 50 feet wide) it wasn't glaringly obvious that these lines existed.  Apparently the 'party' (some sort of social event) was starting in earnest & there were now alotof people there so every bathroom, & there were probably alotof them, had people waiting.  The large foyer or hall that I was walking thru was plush but not glacially untouchably so as a museum wd be.  It was well-furnished - perhaps w/ such things as oriental rugs & vases & chairs & such-like - & seemed comfortable - w/ everything well-crafted - as might be expected in the home of people who can afford objects made by artisans - but there was no feeling of class snobbery. 

I awoke while I was still looking for a bathroom where I cd clean my small wounds. 

The thing about many of these descriptive details is that they were more like amorphous things that seemed appropriate to fill the atmospheric gaps rather than fixed concrete objects.  Imagine walking thru a space & having a part of yr mind instruct a storehouse of images to furnish the room & having these furnishings only sortof become 'real' - solid enuf to appearances but potentially shape-shifting w/o this shape-shifting even being important enuf to notice.  Most of my description above of the more banal details are more like 'filler' - what I'd somehow 'expect' or 'want' such a space to be like - rather than anything actually solid.

*

There was a car, a Jaguar (but not really), on a hill, perhaps, & I had some casual connection to it - perhaps I had taken on the responsibility of closing its door or some such.  As I was doing whatever I was doing I noticed that there was a panel of sorts protruding from the side of the car & that easily visible inside this panel there was an array of keys.  Since it was my intention to secure this car from theft by closing the door I realized that this array of keys was easily accessible from the outside & that, therefore, the car cd be easily opened w/ them & then driven away.  I decided to try to close this panel - but it didn't seem physically possible. 

People were behind me talking about this car & discussing the difficulty of selling it for the asking price of $500,000.  Sometime around this time, a woman in her 50s or 60s w/ whitish hair saw me asked me I'd like the job of coming & sitting w/ the car from time-to-time - sortof like the way people house-sit in Switzerland to make houses seem occupied while the people who live there are away to prevent squatting (this comparison being a waking one & NOT one made in the dream).  I explained that I don't really like cars & that I wdn't really be an appropriate person to do this.  In the meantime, the car had probably grown - perhaps no longer exactly a car anymore.  The woman explained that all I had to do was hang out at the object (perhaps no longer a car at this point) & that I cd watch outdoor movies from the hill (or some-such).  This started to seem like it might be fun so I sortof agreed to do it.  By now I may've been standing on the deck of this object - wch was now a boat.  The woman was off the boat, near its back, & she realized that she wanted me to sign some paperwork. 

This may be out of sequence.  The car was somehow outside of a sortof bay/parking-space/driveway cut into the ground for it that had a slight depth to prevent the car from rolling forward out of it.  The woman pushed the car up to its capture point in the bay to secure it. 

Back on the deck of the car-turned-boat, the woman joined me & the boat started to roll forward - the bay hadn't successfully contained it.  It was going downhill, picking up speed & going in more & more dangerous areas - such as along a tree-lined sidewalk where people were.  The boat was also getting bigger - although its growth wasn't something visible - it was just that it wd be one size & then a bigger size.  I advised the woman to jump off the back while she cd & she did so.  By the time she did the boat's back was probably at least 10 ft above the ground & was also moving fairly fast so it was remarkable that the older woman cd jump off w/o hurting herself.  I wasn't sure whether to jump off but after the woman jumped off it seemed too dangerous for me to do so. 

The boat was obviously increasingly headed toward conditions under wch it wd be more & more difficult to control.  I shouted off its back to people to throw me a rope so I cd tie the rope to the boat & try to stop it.  Some people tried to do this but they had no skill w/ the rope & I got impatient & somewhat angry w/ them b/c of their inability to even throw the rope at all.  I searched in one of the rms of the boat & found an abundance of thin yellow rope, perhaps plastic-coated, that was on top of a table - w/ one end of it partially threaded around the walls near the ceiling as a decoration.  I started gathering up the rope, even though it seemed too thin to be strong enuf, & taking it toward the boat back - w/ the way the one end of the rope was laced around the rm making it difficult to move w/ it. 

When I got to the back of the boat again it was going down a ramp into a body of water.  I was again considering jumping off but as it went down the ramp the back was now very high & jumping off wd've been very dangerous.  There were people in the water below & I shouted down to them asking how deep the water was - hoping I cd jump into it & not break my legs on the bottom or drown in the process.  The people were so far away that they looked very small.  I looked toward the front of the boat to see whether I was about to head out to sea & was surprised to find that not far away was another ramp at the end of the space I was in & that that part was indoors.  As such, I was in little danger of going any further.  The people in the water were trying to turn the boat sideways so that its momentum wd be stopped by its becoming wedged in the now-smaller space.  Somehow I managed to luckily pivot the boat up on top of a railing surrounding this docking area w/ an effortless shifting of my weight & that was that: the boat was stopped & turned sideways - out of the water & up on the railing.  Stopping what had previously been a juggernaut-like motion had taken nothing but an unconscious shift of my position.  On the ground a man commented that he'd come all the way to Jamaica for this - & I was surprised to learn that that's how far the boat had careened (w/ its presumed point-of-origin having been somewhere on the NE coast of the US). 

WAKING NOTE: This seems to be a typical dream for me insofar as I think I've had many dreams where something small grows into something big & out-of-control.  What may be unusual is that it stopped so effortlessly & had a 'happy ending'.
 

No comments: