Thursday, February 19, 2009

I am a child, and I am alone inside this magnificent church. I know this church, this is where we held the Mass for my friend Tommy. I am kneeling in a pew off to the right side of the altar. A huge white column is situated between myself and the altar, obstructing my line of vision. A priest approaches the altar but he has disappeared behind the column, and although I can hear him speaking, I cannot hear the words to his prayer. I do not think he knows that I am there and I have the sense that I am spying on him. I am moving my jaw up and down, and as I do, my teeth are falling out of my mouth, one by one, into my hand which I hold beneath my chin to catch them. When my teeth are all out, I begin speaking: The light! As though it has passed through the tears of Christ, the tears which upon touching the earth are prismatic crystals. The light! As though it has passed through the blood of Christ, the blood which upon touching the earth is hyacinthine gems. The light! As though it has passed through the eyes of Christ, the eyes which upon touching the earth are gold dodecahedrons. The light! As though it has passed through the body of Christ, the body which upon touching the earth is pearl.

No comments: